Monday, January 31, 2011

When you wish upon a clock.

Confession: I'm an avid 11:11 wisher.
Yeah, some people claim they wish on 11:11. Whatever.
I go so far as to follow the rules of 11:11 wishing...Which are as follows:
1. Don't say what you wished for. EVER. Or else it won't come true. Go ahead. Ask me what I wished for. I dare you to. Many have tried. All have failed. I'm not telling you my wish. I'm not playing around with this.
2. Don't sit around waiting at 11:10 watching the clock for 11:11 to happen. That's like cheating. It's like babysitting the base in tag. Or goaltending in basketball. Whatever, just don't do it.
3. If someone tells you it's 11:11 and to make a wish...then freaking do it! Jeez. Consider yourself lucky for having someone care to share the opportunity to make a wish with you.
4. If you are within sight of a clock, it's always helpful (but not always necessary) to kiss the clock. For extra luck. And who doesn't want extra luck?
So I realize this kind of makes me crazy. But I have reason to be!
In 10th grade, a dear friend of mine made me a "wish bracelet." She said to make a wish when I put it on, and when it fell off...the said wish would come true. At this time, we had just moved to Arizona, and were living with my aunt. I wished to find our own house. My bracelet fell off in February. The Friday after it fell...we moved into the house we live in now.
WHAT. Yeah.
Ever since then...I've believed in wishes.
Okay. Maybe that whole thing was sheer coincidence.
Maybe the bracelet fell off because I had showered and swam with it...for several months. Maybe it was just it's time.
That very well could be.
But that doesn't stop my believing in 11:11.
Wishes give us hope. We've been taught to wish since we were little, each year blowing out our birthday candles..."MAKE A WISH!"
It gives us hope that although our dreams and aspirations may be a bit far fetched, there's a slim chance that it might just happen. It might just come true.
I'll confess that my 11:11 wishes are typically the same. Or some derivative of the same wish. I have this wished tucked away in my brain, and as soon as I see that it's 11:11, I wish it. And you know what? It will come true. Or maybe it won't, it's really not entirely under my control. But it keeps me motivated. It gives me hope. What's life without a little something we want to pursue, or achieve, or fulfill to keep us motivated, and to keep us from living without a purpose? And who's to say my wish, or anyone's for that matter, could NEVER EVER be granted?
Anyway, I'm going to keep on wishing.
Because it can't hurt.

1 comment: