Thursday, July 1, 2010

42.

Fourty two.
That's it.
42 days until I move out. Until I enter the rest of my life. Until I call Tucson home. Until I can do whatever, whenever, where ever, with whomever I want.
Pretty daunting, eh?

But really, where did June go? Day in, and day out, I did the same thing over. And over. And over. Wake up at 8:30, watch World Cup matches for hours on end, practice the piano a bit, hit the gym, watch more Sportscenter/PTI/Around the Horn than is healthy for a girl...and then finally at 3 am, fall asleep. But as I actually sit back and look at the things I've done this month... I feel pretty accomplished! I told myself that this summer had to be memorable...after all, it's the last summer of childhood I've got.

So here's the recap of Summer '10-Month 1:

-I successfully managed to get laid off for the first time in my life. It was rather frustrating, since I was promised a job until I left for college. Even if my paychecks were meager, and the hours scarce, it was a job. It was great that Kirsten had to text me and tell me my name was scratched off, and my hours were gone...Oh well. Thanks to Tropical Smoothie, I met Alec, who's one awesome kid. Oh, and free smoothies and cookie dough were great too.

-I finally hiked A Mountain! Every time I passed Sun Devil Stadium, I told myself I'd get to the top, and I did. The first time, in the crazy heat, with Curtis...where we decided to be adventurous and not use the trail. Then from the top, we found a pool over at a resort on Mill Ave. Yeah, we snuck in, no big deal. The second time was with Alan and Zach, at night...which seriously, is one of the coolest things ever. Just sitting at the top and seeing all of the city lights...definitely goes down as one of my favorite places to be.

-...and I hiked Camelback Mountain! So prior to this hike, I'd never really hiked a mountain with any sort of challenge. Not to mention, I did a hard leg workout the day before, not one of my brightest decisons. Anyway, I'm proud to say that Curtis and I made it to the top! An eccentric fellow (who was apparentally interested in me and my hair...) at the top gave us a rundown on all of the mountains around the area, so we have an idea of what we want to conquer next. (p.s. this is basically the only picture I have so far this summer. Depressing? I think so.)

-For the longest time, I'd wanted to go to the river...and I finally did! Alan and I were mattress buddies, which was super chill...even though we got completely destroyed by the sun. I also managed to be knocked over by a current and lose my flip flops. Yeah, I'm so graceful.

-I met one of my work out goals!!! I can now squat 55 lbs on each side...and my goal was 50 by the end of the summer. I was so excited. My other goal was to do 5 pull ups...and right now I'm at 4. Which, compared to the NONE I could do before, is really sweet.

-Karissa, Tony, and I finally made a temple trip. It was short and sweet, but refreshing nonetheless. We're going to try and make it a weekly routine!

-Eclipse midnight showing. Oh my goodness. Karissa and I had far too much fun that night...laughing at the cheeziness of the movie, squirming at the passion in the movie, Claire de Lune, "soaking up our awesomeness", making fun of squealing girls, drawing parallels and connections, mean ghetto people in the parking lot...I just love that girl to pieces.

-Oh, duh, I got oriented! Daddy and I spent two days in Tucson, which was really nice, since I never see him. We made fun of boring speakers, annoying parents, and had an overall good time. My dad's the bomb.

-In honor of World Cup month...Al and I played soccer! Which really isn't a huge deal...but since I never EVER get to play anymore, any chance I get makes my day. I usually school him, but this time he pulled some slick moves that I was actually impressed by. Anyway, it was a way fun afternoon.

...and those are just some of the highlights of June. There's been tears. There's been honesty. There's been lessons learned. There's been good AND bad times. But I can't wait to see what July has in store for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment